Heather & Zack | Engagement



I know I say this often - but I really love when my sessions end and I feel like I walk away with new friends. That's how Heather and Zack's engagement session concluded; with hugs, farewells and "hope-to-see-you-agains" because we really had a great time together. 

Just they day before their shoot it had been gray and chilly, bearing all the signs of a dreary October autumn day. Heather and I had long been chatting about the shoot and unless we faced a downpour, we planned to forge on.  Luckily for us, the sun rose on clear blue skies, gentle breezes and bright fall leaves. Perfection. 

Heather and Zack love to love each other. They love to kiss and embrace. They love to make each other laugh and smile. They love to just be themselves together. And I loved getting to capture their personalities. We spent some time walking around downtown Leesburg before heading to Red Rock Overlook for none other than pumpkin carving (perfect fall activities for a perfect fall day) and a romantic walk by the Potomac. 

******
On a photography related note, this was one of my first sessions in which I integrated medium format film into my professional work. As a photographer I am always looking for ways to push myself artistically and technically. This year I've begun integrating film back into my workflow; beginning with 35 millimeter and now medium format. For me its a way to maintain my focus on what my ultimate goal is - delivering fine art images of life to my clients. 

Film forces me to be incredibly intentional with every frame. To be patient and wait for the most precious of moments before opening the shutter. To be prepared with utmost confidence in my technical approach, knowing that I will have used each exposure efficiently and without haste. 
That approach...that intentionality...allows me more time to be in the moment and less time looking at the back of a camera screen. And isn't that how we're to live anyway? With intention, with appreciation for the moments we're living and experiencing?

Shooting film is about more than a format of choice and also about a philosophy and approach to how I create art. I look forward to shifting my workflow in a direction that has a heavier reliance on film than digital. 

{to appreciating the moment}
-jbw- 















film images - Contax 645, Fuji 400H, processing by Richard Photo Lab

1 comments:

Mom said...

The two of you are meant to be together. I especially like the one of Heather standing behind Zach. The joy that comes out of Heather and Zack's smile expresses everything in that photo.

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover