Truschel Family



It usually works out each year that the bulk of my work is focused on weddings and couples. so I am limited on the number of family portrait sessions that I commission. Usually they are families that I already have a relationship with, so I was excited when Loren submitted an me this fall to photograph her family as it was nice to expand realm a little. 

Photographing families is much the same as photographing anything else; and yet very different. Kids are busy and kids are very interested in being kids and usually not very invested in taking photos. So, my approach to family portraits is this - to capture your family organically interacting with one another. This means playing. Running. Jumping. Swinging. Laughing. Twirling. 

Whatever it is you do as a family when a camera isn't around is what I want you do when my camera is around. Just be you. Because that's what you're best at and that's what makes your family beautiful. 

My favorite memories of my own family are the ones when we were just being "us".  What I would give to have illustration to those memories.  That desire is what shapes my approach to how I photograph families. 

I love looking at these images of the Truschel family, because in them I see that they are just being them. Running. Hugging. Laughing. Playing an endless game of "one more time, Daddy!"
When they look back on this fleeting season and on their memories, I hope that I have done them justice with these illustrations. 

What I would give to have done them justice. 


{to illustrating memories}
-jbw-












0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover